Prison Site Support - NORTH EAST region
23rd January 2023
- Job Type: Permanent
- Hours: Part time or Full time
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: On-site in a number of prisons, including HMPs Northumberland, Durham, Kirklevington Grange.
The role and duties
Prisons provide a vital public service, making a difference by creating a safe environment. We’re here to help prisoners engage with education opportunities and develop digital literacy.
The Coracle Inside system enables prisoners to study from their cell via our secure laptops.
As a front line member of staff, duties include:
- Issuing Coracle laptops to users
- Conducting regular security checks of Coracle laptops on the wings
- Printing work for users from Coracle laptops
- Maintaining activity logs and check sheets
- Maintaining contact with the head office
- Any other tasks as appropriate to support Coracle
Skills, knowledge and experience
We require someone with the following work-related attributes, qualities and attributes:
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written
- A focus on accuracy and attention to detail, whilst being able to work at a fast pace
- Comfortable with adopting and adapting to new systems and technologies
- Patience and flexibility. There can be times where waiting around is inevitable
- Politeness. You treat other staff and prisoners as you would like to be treated yourself
- Team player/lone working. We are a growing team who want to support your work but you will need to be able to think on your feet and work independently
- Honesty. You won’t be afraid of admitting that you don’t also know an answer, but you take pride in finding out and following through on your commitments
- Measured and not judgemental. You will be working with people who are in prison for a reason: it is not our place to judge, but to support their individual development. You won’t be afraid to speak to other inmates about what you are doing with the devices
Our work involves dealing with some of the most marginalised people within our society. As an organisation we strive for a culture that reflects our values. With that in mind, we are looking to hire from as broad and diverse a group as possible and welcome applications from individuals from all backgrounds.
We recognise our responsibilities to safeguard and protect those with whom we work. We do all we can to promote health, safety and wellbeing and expect all staff to share this commitment and to work in line with our safeguarding policy, our values and ethos of inclusivity.
Employment with Coracle is subject to pre-employment checks for successful candidates, including references and criminal disclosure checks.
We welcome job applications from people with lived experience of the criminal justice system, however as the role requires prison security clearance, we will need to ask for details of any relevant criminal convictions before an offer of employment is finalised.
You will be working closely with prison staff, people in prison, supported by the Coracle head office. You will report directly to our Prisons Sites Manager.
You will have experience of drawing keys and working in a prison setting. Ideally you will have valid vetting in place.
How to apply
Email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications before Monday February 6th at 5pm
- Interviews will take place online on 8, 9 and 10 February.
- Start date: As soon as possible, depending on notice period.